The United States government kept custom house records and passenger lists for alien, immigrant, and citizen arrivals in various locations in Washington Territory and State between 1890 and 1957.
These records constitute direct, original, and primary information about individuals entering the United States. Indirect information, such as age, sex, marital status, and destination may also appear in these records.
Copies of these records are kept at the National Archives and Records Administration’s Pacific Alaska Region facility in Seattle, Washington, where I am a professional genealogy researcher. Contact me to start a discussion about the possibilities of researching your family’s history. Likewise, if you would like more information about my genealogical research services, including information about fees, and range of materials available to research, I’d love to hear from you.
For more detailed information about these records, please see the NARA publications for:
- M1365 — Head tax certificates of aliens arriving in Seattle, WA, 1917–1924. For passengers arriving from Vancouver and Victoria, BC. 10 rolls.
- M1383 — Seattle, WA Passenger/Crew Lists, 1890–1957. 357 rolls.
- M1398 — Seattle, WA Passenger Lists, 1949–1954. 5 rolls.
- M1399 — Seattle, WA Crew Lists, 1903–1917. 15 rolls.
- M1484 — Pt. Townsend/Tacoma, WA Passenger lists, 1894–1909. 1 roll.
- M1485 — Seattle, WA Passenger lists from insular possessions, 1908–1917. 1 roll.