Maling, N. P. Descendants of Simon Mellen, c. 1636–1694. Seattle, Washington: Sea Genes Family History & Genealogy Research. 2012. 296pp. Indexed, illustrated. ISBN: 978-1-105-90833-0.
The first full-scale genealogical treatment of the Massachusetts Mellen family. The progenitor of this family was Simon Mellen, c. 1636–1694, who settled in Sherborne and later Framingham. The genealogy continues from Simon(1)1 to the late 1800s birth of Albert Fisher(10) Mellen, presenting 10 generations of this family. The focus is on the Mellens who settled in New England; fought in the early wars, including the Revolutionary War and Civil War; and established families. Their migration coverage ranges from Massachusetts, to Maine, to New Hampshire, to Connecticut, and to Rhode Island. Several tendrils extend into New York.
Growing out of two brief genealogies previously published in the town history of Framingham, Massachusetts, this greatly expanded and corrected history of the Mellen family is amply documented and footnoted. It corrects and clarifies numerous other publications concerning the Mellen family history. Over 2,300 footnotes provide and discuss the source materials used for each piece of information. The index provides both personal names, including maiden names of wives, and place names, enabling a researcher to pinpoint migration patterns.
Constructed in the classic New England Historic & Genealogical Society’s Register style, the first ten sketches are:
1. Simon, b. circa 1636; d. Sherborne, 19 December 1694.
2. Simon, b. Winnisimmet, 25 Sept. 1665; d. Framingham, 30 Aug. 1717.
3. Thomas, b. Malden, in Aug. 1668.
4. Mary, b. Malden, between 1674 and 1677; d. Framingham, 13 March 1727.
5. Simon, b. Sherborne, 16 May 1690.
6. James, b. Framingham, 8 March 1697/98.
7. Henry, b. Sherborne, 12 Aug. 1691; d. 13 May 1767.
8. Sarah, b. Framingham, 22 March 1696/97; d. Sherborne 28 Aug. 1725.
9. Richard, b. Framingham, 10 Nov. 1701.
10. Tabitha, b. Framingham, 4 Jan. 1703/4.
The sketches continue through to numbers 123. Edward E. Mellen, b. 27 Sept. 1886; and 124. Walter Leslie Mellen, b. 10 Jan. 1868. These sketches include the descendants of both men, for a total coverage of 10 generations into the early 20th century.
This volume is available in softcover and hardcover from Lulu.com.