On this day in 1853, Washington Territory was spun off from Oregon.
Between 1850 and 1974 the U. S. government kept records of declarations of intention and petitions for naturalization in Washington Territory and State. These records can contain genealogically significant information. The records are organized by surname and declaration date and petition date. Some records in this group may not exist due to destruction or they may simply be missing. Additionally, the earlier records may not be indexed at all.
Microfilm copies of these records are kept at the NARA Pacific Alaska Region facility in Seattle, Washington.
The National Archives and Records Administration has fact sheets about these publications:
- M1541 — Naturalization Records of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Washington, 1890–1972
- M1542 — Naturalization Records of the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington, 1890–1957
- M1543 — Naturalization Records of the Superior Courts for King, Pierce, Thurston, and Snohomish Counties, Washington, 1850–1974
The United States government kept custom house records and passenger lists for alien, immigrant, and citizen arrivals in various locations in Washington Territory and State between 1890 and 1957.
These records constitute direct, original, and primary information about individuals entering the United States. Indirect information, such as age, sex, marital status, and destination may also appear in these records.
Copies of these records are kept at the National Archives and Records Administration’s Pacific Alaska Region facility in Seattle, Washington, where I am a professional genealogy researcher. Contact me to start a discussion about the possibilities of researching your family’s history. Likewise, if you would like more information about my genealogical research services, including information about fees, and range of materials available to research, I’d love to hear from you.
For more detailed information about these records, please see the NARA publications for:
- M1365 — Head tax certificates of aliens arriving in Seattle, WA, 1917–1924. For passengers arriving from Vancouver and Victoria, BC. 10 rolls.
- M1383 — Seattle, WA Passenger/Crew Lists, 1890–1957. 357 rolls.
- M1398 — Seattle, WA Passenger Lists, 1949–1954. 5 rolls.
- M1399 — Seattle, WA Crew Lists, 1903–1917. 15 rolls.
- M1484 — Pt. Townsend/Tacoma, WA Passenger lists, 1894–1909. 1 roll.
- M1485 — Seattle, WA Passenger lists from insular possessions, 1908–1917. 1 roll.